340 Americans were evacuated from the quarantined cruise ship Diamond Princess and flown back to the U.S. from Japan aboard two chartered Boeing 747s, landing early Monday morning, and 14 of them are confirmed to have tested positive for the coronavirus that has killed more than 1,700 so far.
The Americans had been held for two weeks aboard the ship. They were all deemed asymptomatic and fit to fly before the planes took off from Japan.
The evacuees will now be placed under mandatory quarantine for 14 days.
The 14 newly confirmed cases nearly doubles the number of individuals in the U.S. infected with the deadly virus.
* * *
Love Disrn? Subscribe!
- Experience the entire site ad-free
- Bookmark your favorite articles
- Access the members-only podcast with Adam Ford
- Read member-exclusive opinion pieces
- Sync your favorites between devices
- Support us as we grow