A 22-year-old man named Freddy Mougambou from the central African country of Gabon is being hailed a hero after he died while rescuing a little girl caught in a towering inferno.
According to Kongossa News, a fire of great intensity broke out in a large house in the Matoto district of Gabon. As neighbors gathered outside, the screams of a young girl trapped inside the home's kitchen could be heard.
A first aid worker attempted to gain access to the building but was unable to access the child, as was a second bystander. As the cries of the trapped girl grew louder, Mougambou ran into the flames to find and grab the child.
The young man was able to get her to safety before being doused in gasoline by one of the other rescuers who apparently did not realize the liquid he was throwing on the flames was flammable.
Mougambou suffered 3rd degree burns and was rushed to the Hiaobo Hospital where he died from his wounds four days later. The young girl survived and is in good health.