Muslim Fulani herdsmen on Friday killed a five-year-old boy, a church pastor, and 10 other Christians in a series of attacks in southern Kaduna state, Nigeria, Morning Star News reported.
Between 8 p.m. and midnight, armed Fulani herdsmen ambushed the surrounding areas of the Christian-dominated town of Kafanchan, including Zikpak, Maigizoh, and Ungwan Masara.
Five-year-old Joel Cephas and the Rev. Shamah Kuyet Ishaya of the Evangelical Church Winning All in Zikpak were among eight others that were murdered. The assailants wounded 11 other Christians and torched at least three homes.
The Rev. John Olu Adetoyese, Provost at ECWA Theological Seminary in Igbaja, Kwara state where Ishaya graduated, confirmed the pastor's death.
"Pastor Shamah, among many others, was gruesomely murdered by Fulani herdsmen in an overnight attack yesterday, July 24," Rev. Adetoyese said. "May the Lord grant the family the fortitude to bear the irreparable loss; may He be with Christians in southern Kaduna. Your journey was so short but fulfilled, Pastor Shamah Kuyet."
Morning Star News received numerous text messages from residents during the attack and the following day describing the horrific persecution.
- "Christians are getting killed like chickens; children getting slaughtered; women getting raped and molested. Southern Kaduna is bleeding, and the government is silent; we need help!" - Thomas Usman
- "Another Fulani attack in Kafanchan; Oh God, please intervene and protect your children with Your blood." - Tinom Jatau
- "Fulani herdsmen are attacking Kafanchan. I'm on the run, I need your prayers." - Sharon Markus
- "My people are in the bush now, crying for help. Guns are being shot everywhere. God, we only have you." - Markus Bobai
- "Kafanchan on fire; please wherever you are now, we just need your prayers." - John Tanko
A spokesman for the Southern Kaduna People's Union was able to identify the other eight Christians that were killed.
- Kingsley Raphael, 28
- Katung Kantiock, 60
- Luka Garba, 75
- Victor Ishaya, 22
- Madam Dakaci, 52
- Cecelia Audu, 65
- Matina Dauda, 70
- Yanasan Dauda, 70
Among those wounded by gunshot were Jonathan Ishaya, Marthins Agang, Kassan Duniya, and Jenifer Nicodemus.