Fifty-three people were shot over the weekend in Chicago, with five of the victims dying from their injuries.
Many of the shootings happened on the city's South and West sides.
- 25-year-old Jeremiah D. McCoy was shot in the head in a drive-by on the South Side.
- 25-year-old Mieya C. Sims was shot in the head and another woman was wounded while standing in an alley in West Garfield Park.
- A man was killed and three others wounded when a gunman in a neighboring car opened fire in West Garfield Park.
- A 21-year-old man was shot in the back and dropped off at a hospital on the West Side, where he was pronounced dead.
- A 27-year-old man was killed after a man in another car shot at him while driving in East Garfield Park.
The murders added to Chicago's skyrocketing homicide rate this year, which has overwhelmingly affected minority communities. The city has had 611 murders to date this year, compared with 340 murders in all of 2019.