A Bernie Sanders 2020 campaign field organizer was caught on hidden video making some astounding statements, including defending Stalin's murderous Soviet gulags, equating Trump voters to Nazis that need to be "re-educated," saying "cities will burn" if Trump wins re-election, and saying Milwaukee and other cities "will burn" if Sanders does not win the Democratic nomination.
Some quotes from the video, with profanity omitted:
- "After the Nazi party fell ... Germany had to spend billions of dollars re-educating their people to not be Nazis. We're probably going to have to do the same thing here."
- "That's kind of what all Bernie's whole 'hey, free education for everybody,' because we're going to have to teach you not to be a Nazi."
- "There's a reason Joseph Stalin had gulags, right? And actually, gulags were a lot better than what the CIA has told us that they were. People were actually paid a living wage in gulags, they had conjugal visits in gulags — gulags were actually meant for, like, re-education."
- "Greatest way to break a billionaire of their privilege and their idea that they're superior? Go out and break rocks for twelve hours a day. Now you're a working-class person, and you're going to learn what that means."
- "If Bernie doesn't get the nomination or it goes to a second round at the DNC Convention, Milwaukee will burn. It'll start in Milwaukee and then when the police push back on that, other cities will just [makes explosion sound and gesture]."
- "Be ready to be in Milwaukee for the DNC Convention. We're going to make 1978 [sic] look like a girl scouts cookout. The cops are going to be the ones that are getting beaten in Milwaukee."
- "The only thing that works, the only thing that fascists understand, is violence. So, the only way you can confront them is with violence."
- "[I'll] walk into the MSNBC studios, drag those [people] out by their hair, and light them on fire in the streets."
- "If you want to fight against the revolution, you're going to die for it."
Watch the video teaser clip, which was released Tuesday morning, below [warning: very strong language]:
And the full video, which was released Tuesday afternoon [warning: very strong language]:
The footage was released by Project Veritas, a conservative activist group which engages in undercover journalism. They have promised that more footage will be released soon.
Documentation shows Kyle Jurek, the staffer, was paid more than $11,000 by the Bernie 2020 campaign over a period of six months in 2019. A photo shows him engaged in work for the campaign in September.
At the end of Tuesday's video, Project Veritas founder James O'Keefe promised more revelations to follow, saying:
"Is the Sanders campaign going to fire Kyle Jurek? Are they going to say he's a lone wolf or an isolated incident? Well, in our next release you will hear Jurek say some of the most shocking and disturbing totalitarian aspirations ever spoken during a presidential campaign. Stay tuned, America. More to come."