During an appearance on "CBS Evening News" Friday, 2020 Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders admitted "no one knows" the total cost of his proposed plans for universal health care, tuition-free college, and student loan forgiveness, saying "this is impossible to predict":
- Host Norah O'Donnell: "Your agenda has promised free health care for everybody, free college tuition, and to pay off people's college loans. The price tag for that is estimated to be $60 trillion over ten years, correct?"
- Sanders: "Well, look. We have political opponents who will come up —"
- O'Donnell: "You don't know how much your plan costs?"
- Sanders: "You don't know. Nobody knows. This is impossible to predict."
- O'Donnell: "You're going to propose a plan to the American people, and you're not going to tell them how much it costs?!"
- Sanders: "Of course I will. Do you know exactly what healthcare costs will be…in the next ten years if we do nothing? It will be a lot more expensive than a Medicare-for-all single-payer system."