Presidential hopeful Bernie Sanders revealed his "Reproductive Health Care and Justice for All" agenda over the weekend, which included several extreme pro-abortion measures such as free abortions for everyone, defunding pregnancy centers, banning abstinence-only sex education, and instituting Roe v. Wade as codified law.
Under his plan, Sanders promises to repeal the Hyde Amendment, which prohibits the use of federal funds to pay for an abortion unless the mother's life is in danger, and that "all reproductive health services will be provided free at the point of service."
Sanders' abortion agenda would also strip pro-life pregnancy centers of Title X government funds while increasing federal funds for Planned Parenthood, the nation's largest abortion provider.
Sanders also promises to "codify Roe v. Wade in legislative statute" and "require all judicial nominees to support Roe v. Wade as settled law" in an effort to "undo the damage Donald Trump and Mitch McConnell have done."
From Sanders' website:
As President, Bernie will:
- Use executive authority to undo all the damage Trump has done to women's reproductive freedom, including:
- Undoing the Trump administration's rule which allows providers to refuse care to and discriminate against their patients seeking reproductive health care.
- Reversing the Trump Administration's domestic gag rule which is a disgraceful assault on women's rights and an assault on millions of Americans' ability to get the health care they need.
- Reversing the Trump Administration's global gag rule.
- Restoring United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) funding.
- Codify Roe v. Wade in legislative statute.
- Protect and expand funding for Planned Parenthood.
- Require all judicial nominees to support Roe v. Wade as settled law.
- Repeal the Hyde and Helms Amendments.
- Ban state Targeted Regulation of Abortion Providers (TRAP) laws that put undue and unnecessary burdens and regulations on doctors who provide abortion services, with the goal of restricting access.
- Require preclearance for state abortion laws to ensure that state laws do not impose undue restrictions and barriers for abortion services.
- Ensure anti-choice crisis pregnancy centers do not get Title X funding or other government funds.
- Ban ineffective abstinence-only sex education.
- Make birth control available over-the-counter in addition to free under Medicare for All.