Despite telling Americans in the first presidential debate, "No, I don't support the Green New Deal," a series of executive orders signed by President Joe Biden has effectively implemented a number of Green New Deal policies.
In executive action Wednesday, Biden ordered $2 trillion worth of environmental investment, including:
- Elevation of climate change to the status of national security priority
- A national objective to double offshore wind energy production this decade
- Termination of all oil and gas leases on federal land
- Elimination of coal, oil, and natural gas as electricity sources by 2035
- Creation of a White House Office of Domestic Climate Policy
Each of these action items were major points of focus in the original Green New Deal authored and promoted by Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY). NBC News reporter Geoff Bennett noticed the similarities on Twitter.
Ocasio-Cortez seemed to relish Bennett's observation, responding with an affirming quip.