Dallas Stars CEO says team has lost season-ticket holders over support of BLM

by Bryan Brammer · Aug 31st, 2020 2:55 pm
32

Last Updated Oct 14th, 2020 at 9:18 am

President and CEO of the NHL's Dallas Stars Brad Alberts said the team has lost a growing number of customers over the club's support of the Black Lives Matter movement, the Dallas News reported last Friday.

Brad Alberts, who reiterated his organization's commitment to support "players 100% to express their views," said season-ticket holders — both individuals and companies — have not renewed their accounts.

Dallas Stars forward Jason Dickinson and captain Tyler Seguin knelt during the American and Canadian national anthems on August 3 in support of BLM, becoming the first NHL players to do so.

Dickinson also spoke during a news conference in Edmonton last Thursday, saying the decision to kneel was an attempt to "get the conversation going" concerning racial inequality.

Stars interim coach Rick Bowness echoed his boss's sentiments in supporting their players' decision to take a stand against social injustice.

"We're all against the social injustice and racial discrimination that's going on around the world," Bowness said. "If our players think that this is the best way that they can support that, then they have our full support and we are proud of the stance that they have taken."

All four major sports leagues, as well as the WNBA and MLS, postponed playoff games last week as part of a boycot following the police shooting of Jacob Blake in Kenosha, Wisconsin.


Comments

There are 32 comments on this article.

You must become a subscriber or login to view or post comments on this article.