Adding to the chaos of an exceedingly volatile 24 hours in Iran, a magnitude 4.9 earthquake has struck near its sole nuclear power plant in the southwestern part of the country, the United States Geological Survey confirmed.
In the last 24 hours in Iran:
- A stampede during the funeral procession for Gen. Soleimani killed at least 56 and injured hundreds.
- Gen. Soleimani was buried.
- Iran launched missile attacks against U.S. air bases in Iraq as revenge for Soleimani's killing.
- A Boeing 737 passenger jet crashed minutes after takeoff from Tehran, killing all 176 passengers and crew members on board.
- This major earthquake rattled Iran's nuclear site.
Because the earthquake had a depth of 10 kilometers, it is believed to be a natural event and not related to Iran's missile attacks on U.S. airbases. The extent of damage or deaths caused by the quake is not yet known.
President Trump is slated to give an address on Wednesday morning about the attack on U.S. forces.