MI judge dismisses Trump campaign's lawsuit in the state

by Laura Mize · Nov 5th, 2020 4:38 pm
16

Last Updated Nov 5th, 2020 at 10:35 pm

Judge Cynthia Stevens of the Michigan Court of Appeals dismissed the Trump campaign's lawsuit regarding ballot counting in the state on Thursday.

Stevens said that Michigan Secretary of State Jocelyn Benson could not satisfy the campaign's request to order local election officials to allow poll watchers to "meaningfully participate and oversee" voting and ballot counting, because the vote tallying was nearly complete at the time of the hearing.

She also rejected an affidavit a Trump attorney presented, in which a local election official said a poll worker reported she had been told to change the date a ballot had been received. The poll worker alleges she was told to change the receipt date from November 4, the day after the election, to November 3, according to the affidavit.

The judge said the affidavit was hearsay and that the election official did not have firsthand knowledge of the incident.

A Trump campaign allegation that a poll watcher had been denied access to the process of counting votes lacked detail, Stevens said.

Finally, Stevens ruled that a recently enacted state law requiring video surveillance of ballot dropboxes installed after October 1 does not require the state to provide access to the video or to pinpoint which boxes are affected by the requirement.


Comments

There are 16 comments on this article.

You must become a subscriber or login to view or post comments on this article.