Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer has announced a new emergency health order for the state, greatly restricting economic and educational activity for three weeks. In accordance with the recommendations of the state's Department of Health and Human Services, the order will commence on Wednesday, November 18, and extend through Tuesday, December 8.
The order limits all indoor gatherings to two households and all outdoor gatherings to 25 people. Additionally, all in-person high school and college classes will be paused. The statement said the order will include all organized sports with the exception of professional leagues.
"The situation has never been more dire, Whitmer said at a press conference Sunday evening. "We are at the precipice and we need to take some action."
Earlier this year Whitmer enacted some of the most restrictive and long-lasting stay-at-home orders in the country. This three-week emergency declaration stops short of some of those measures, allowing K-8 schools to remain open, as well as restaurants that offer outdoor dining, takeout, and delivery.
Gyms and pools will also remain open but organized exercise classes and movie theaters are shut down again.