A male runner who identifies as female will compete against women in the USA Olympics marathon trials later this month, the first time in history that a transgender athlete has done so.
Megan Youngren, a biological male who identifies as a woman, will square off against dozens of female athletes on February 29 in Atlanta, Georgia. Biologically male athletes who identify as women must keep their testosterone levels below a certain threshold to qualify in competitions against women.
"I trained hard," Youngren said. "I got lucky. I dodged injuries. I raced a lot, and it worked out for me."
The athlete has been taking synthetic estrogen for about nine years.
* * *
Love Disrn? Subscribe!
- Experience the entire site ad-free
- Bookmark your favorite articles
- Access the members-only podcast with Adam Ford
- Read member-exclusive opinion pieces
- Sync your favorites between devices
- Support us as we grow