Emails obtained by the New York Post, which the outlet calls "smoking gun" communications, allegedly show Hunter Biden leveraging his then-Vice President father, Joe Biden, to boost his pay from Ukranian natural gas company Burisma.
From the Post:
Hunter Biden discussed leveraging his connection to his father in a bid to boost his pay from a Ukrainian natural gas company, according to an email he sent around the time he joined the firm's corporate board.
In a lengthy memo to his then-business partner, Devon Archer, who already sat on the Burisma board, Biden repeatedly mentioned "my guy" while apparently referring to then-Vice President Joe Biden.
Under President Barack Obama, the elder Biden was the point person for US policy toward Ukraine, and he held a press conference there with Prime Minister Arseniy Yatsenyuk on April 22, 2014.
Hunter Biden's email to Archer is dated a little more than a week earlier.
The emails were allegedly contained in a MacBook Pro recovered by the Post from a Delaware computer shop owner who said Hunter Biden dropped it off for repairs in April 2019 and never picked it back up.
Among the emails:
- "The announcement of my guys [sic] upcoming travels should be characterized as part of our advice and thinking- but what he will say and do is out of our hands."
- "In other words it could be a really good thing or it could end up creating too great an expectation. We need to temper expectations regarding that visit."
- "We need to ask for long term agreement and across the board participation. This is a huge step for us that could easily become very complicated. And if we are not protected financially regardless of the outcome we could find ourselves frozen out of a lot of current and future opportunities."
- "The contract should begin now- not after the upcoming visit of my guy."
- "That should include a retainer in the range of 25k p/m w/ additional fees where appropriate for more in depth work to go to BSF for our protection. Complete separate from our respective deals re board participation."
As Fox News notes, the introduction to Joe Biden came less than a year before the vice president pressured government officials in Ukraine to fire a prosecutor who was investigating the company.
The computer also contained many pictures of Hunter Biden, including several with his shirt off and one where he has what appears to be a crack pipe in his mouth.
The Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee is working with the computer repairman, whose identity was confirmed by The Post, to verify the documents.