U.S. announces reduction of American troops in Iraq from 5,200 to 3,000

by Peter Heck · Sep 10th, 2020 11:13 am
10

Last Updated Sep 11th, 2020 at 2:33 am

Marine General Frank McKenzie, who heads the U.S. Central Command in the Middle East, announced Wednesday that in keeping with President Trump's plan to reduce U.S. troop levels overseas, troop levels in Iraq will be cut from 5,200 to 3,000.

"We are continuing to expand on our partner capacity programs that enable Iraqi forces and allow us to reduce our footprint in Iraq," he said.

Last week, an anonymous member of the Trump senior administration staff told reporters that an announcement of this nature was coming soon and that a follow-up regarding withdrawal of U.S. troops in Afghanistan would come shortly thereafter.

McKenzie called the U.S. drawdown in Iraq a "clear demonstration" of the United States's commitment to empowering Iraqis to prevent any reappearance of ISIS.

"The journey has been difficult, the sacrifice has been great, but the progress has been significant," he said.


Comments

There are 10 comments on this article.

You must become a subscriber or login to view or post comments on this article.